Tobias Bäuerle’s entrepreneur villa
The house “Mühlegg” was built in 1913 at the corner between the Bahnhofsstraße and the Mühlstraße.
The project was the idea of Christian Bäuerle, who was a shareholder of the clock factory “Tobias Bäuerle and Sons”. Alfred Haas, a cousin of his wife Hermine, was hired as an architect.
A special feature of the house is the big, deep, hipped roof, through which it strongly resembles the typical, regional farming houses of the black forest. The southern side of the house shows an arbour- like balcony, the other sides of the house have wood-panelled fronts with windows.
The house combines many different architectural style elements, which is one of the reasons for its protection as a historical landmark.
Papst Licensing bought the mansion in spring of 2001 to build a new administration building in the backyard garden. The house was in a very run-down state and its renovation had to be done from scratch and required a lot of expenses, time and energy, also because of the conditions the office of monuments set.
Georg Papst changed a few details when renovating the house. To have more light on the upper floors, small, hipped gabled-roof-dormers with built in windows were put into place.
The floors and ceilings were restored with a lot of handicraft work, the terrace was extended. The oriel was turned into a winter garden through adding a glass front and the entire building technology had to be renewed. The adjusted garden house is equipped with a sink and a counter and is used for small private gatherings.The ground floor of the villa is used as a Museum about the works of the inventor Hermann Papst (1902-1981). His Grandchild is the present owner of the house, together with his family. The rooms facing the garden are part wise used as conference- and exhibition rooms of the neighbouring company Papst Licensing GmbH and Co. KG. The first and second floor, are used as private apartments and archives.